Auckland Periodontics & Implants (2018) Ltd complies with the New Zealand Privacy Act 2020 (the Act) when dealing with personal information. Personal information is information about an identifiable individual (a natural person).
Your privacy and maintaining the confidentiality of your personal information is important to us. We are committed to safeguarding your personal information. This privacy statement explains what information we collect, how information is collected, used and handled, when information may be disclosed to third parties with your consent, your rights for requesting access to or amending your personal information, as well as how you can provide us with feedback or make a complaint. This document may be amended by us from time to time.
Information we collect
We will only collect information that is necessary for providing our services to you. We will only collect information that is necessary for the purposes for which it will be used. The amount and type of personal information we collect from you and hold about you will vary depending on whether you are an existing patient or a patient of a dental care practice who have referred you to our practice. The personal, or individually identifiable information that we may hold about you could include:
- Name, address, telephone and email contact details
- Personal details such as age and gender
- Details of previous dentists you have been a patient of
- Dental x-rays, photos or scans
- NHI number
- Details of purchases made
- Details of professional services used
- Sensitive information including:
- Medical history,
- Family medical history,
- Current health and dental assessment
Use and disclosure of your personal information
We use your personal information primarily to provide, manage and administer our services. We may use your personal information for a number of purposes, including:
- to provide dental and related services to you
- to refer you to additional health service provider when/if the need arises
- to maintain and administer your patient file(s) at our practice
- to contact you in relation to any matter relating to you or the dental treatments or products provided to you
- to answer your enquiries and deliver customer services to you
- to carry out internal functions such as administration, accounting, quality assurance and information technology
- to resolve complaints
- to administer your invoicing for dental services, credit card payments, or to collect unpaid invoices
- to follow you up regarding further dental examinations or treatments required
- to send information to you about us
- to comply with any laws or regulations
If you submit online forms or send emails to us containing personal information, we will use that information to respond to your message or to contact you. The main purpose of collecting and using personal information submitted through our website is to respond to patient and customer enquiries or feedback from this site.
Accessing your personal information
Subject to certain grounds for refusal set out in the Act, you have the right to access your readily retrievable personal information that we hold. Before you exercise this right, we will need evidence to confirm that you are the individual to whom the personal information relates. You can request access to your personal information by sending an email to email@example.com
Correcting your personal information
To enable us to provide you with the best possible service, it is important that the information we hold about you is accurate. We will take reasonable steps to ensure that your personal information is accurate, complete and up to date at the time of collecting, using or disclosing it. If you believe any information we hold about you is inaccurate, incomplete or out-of-date, you should contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know. We will respond to your request within a reasonable period and will take reasonable steps to amend your records.
Protecting your personal information
We will take reasonable steps to keep your personal information safe from loss, unauthorised activity, or other misuse. We will take reasonable steps to ensure that personal information provided by you will be handled in accordance with New Zealand privacy laws including the New Zealand Privacy Principles. We maintain strict data security standards and procedures with a view to preventing unauthorised access to your data by anyone other than us.
Your personal information may be handled by our employees. Information may be used by staff at our practice for the provision of dental services to you. We keep your personal information for as long as it is required to provide you with the services and products you requested from us and to comply with legal requirements.
If we no longer require your personal information for any purpose, including legal purposes, we will take reasonable steps to securely destroy or de-identify your personal information except in circumstances permitted or required by law.
While we take reasonable steps to maintain secure internet connections, if you provide us with personal information over the internet, the provision of that information is at your own risk.